Monday, February 22, 2010
National Day of Action to Defend Public Education
All across the US parents, teachers, students and activists are standing up for Public Education in the face of the privatization of education by way of Charter Schools and other schemes!
High School & College Students Defend Your Right to a Free, Quality Education ... WALKOUT!!!
PARENTS/TEACHERS ESCORT YOUR STUDENTS TO:
10 AM: TEACH IN AT THE HOUSE OF THE LORD CHURCH (425 ATLANTIC AVE. BET NEVINS & BOND STS., BKLYN)
1 PM: "SHUT DOWN CITY HALL NOT OUR SCHOOLS" ON THE STEPS OF CITY HALL TO PROTEST THE DOE'S MOVE TO CLOSE 20 CITY SCHOOLS
* FIX PUBLIC SCHOOLS DON'T CLOSE THEM!
* PUBLIC SCHOOL BUILDINGS FOR PUBLIC SCHOOLS NOT CHARTER SCHOOLS!
* WE WANT A PEOPLE'S BOARD OF EDUCATION -- NOT MAYORAL CONTROL!
* MONEY FOR STUDENT METRO CARDS, SCHOOLS, HOSPITALS, HOUSING AND JOBS, NO BUDGET CUTS, NO LAYOFFS, NO CUNY TUITION, NO MONEY FOR WAR, NO MONEY FOR MILITARY OCCUPATION OF HAITI, NO MORE MONEY FOR CORPORATE AMERICA!
* RESTORE COUNCILMAN CHARLES BARRON AS CHAIR OF CITY COUNCIL HIGHER ED COMMITTEE
4 PM: MARCH AND RALLY AT GOVERNOR PATERSON'S OFFICE (3RD AVE. AND 41ST ST.) AND MARCHING TO MTA HEADQUARTERS
* STOP THE DENIAL OF TRANSIT PASSES FOR OUR STUDENTS
NO TUITION HIKES - NO BUDGET CUTS!
COALITION FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION / COALICION POR LA EDUCACION PUBLICA
FOR INFO: 212-348-5732